Saturday, December 04, 2004

Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News

(Note: Here is where I begin offering some incoherent thoughts on some of the albums that moved me (in both good and bad ways) during 2004. I encourage others to share their thoughts in the comments as well.)

I don't know if an incredibly tuneful, acid bluesy album about personal growth and the ravaging effects of romantic ideals and alcohol could have come at a better time for me. Though he occasionally lapses into cringe worthy pundom, Isaac Brock is a brilliantly poetic lyricist and ugly/beautiful slop guitarist (my hero!).

Not everyone agrees with me, but Modest Mouse live was one of the more disappointing concert experiences of my adult life. I saw them twice, and in two great venues: Hammerstein Ballroom and Radio City Music Hall. They seemed to be phoning it in on both occasions; perhaps nerves were a factor. But I imagine they'd be best enjoyed in a small, smoky dive with cheap whisky hanging in the air and cheap women on the bar.

Horrible title aside, Good News... remains one of my two or three favorite albums of this year.

MP3: "I’ve Got It All (Most)" ("Float On" b-side)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home