Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Listening to a Song Inside My Head

...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - "Summer '91"

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I really don't mind watching my favorite bands mature. My tastes tend to evolve with, or be formed by, my favorite bands. With the exception of Think Tank, I like each Blur album better than the last. I was ecstatic to hear Modest Mouse sharpen their sound and arrangements on Good News for People Who Love Bad News. Same with the new Low (discussed below). And now, the same goes for ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead.

Well, to be honest, AYWKUBTTOD have never been one of my favorite bands. I saw a great, deranged, shambolic concert by them at the Knitting Factory somewhere around 2000, but wasn't too turned on by their debut, Madonna. The follow-up, Source Tags and Codes, was much more to my liking, the title track remaining one of my favorite songs by anyone. Guns n' Roses for pretentious, pseudo-intellectual pricks like me. Anyway, I like them enough to have hunted down their new album, Worlds Apart (out 1/25/05), and while I still get distracted about 3/4 of the way through, I remain floored by this song and a few others on it. I guess it appeals to both the Coldplay and the Jane's Addiction fan in me. Plus, because of the title and piano line, it reminds me of one of my favorite Pink Floyd tunes (written by keyboardist Richard Wright), "Summer '68". Very different subject matter, though.

Plus, you can't fuck with any band that records a cover of the Monkees' "Porpoise Song". Even if they are from Texas.

To recap:
AYWKUBTTOD - "Summer '91"
AYWKUBTTOD - "Porpoise Song"
Pink Floyd - "Summer '68"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home