Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Everything's Slower Today

bravecaptain - “Good Life"

In early 1997, C’mon Kids by the Boo Radleys was my favorite album, and drinking heavily was my favorite pastime (and remained so for nearly 7 more years). I was going to college in St. Paul at the time, and First Avenue (which recently closed, but has now re-opened) was where my favorite Britpop bands played, usually for 5 dollars. I saw Pulp, Radiohead, and countless others there, including the aforementioned Boos. After that show, my friends and I stumbled out of the venue only to find guitarist/songwriter Martin Carr outside having a smoke. I slurred my love for the album to him and offered to buy him a drink. He accepted, so my friends and I bought the rock star Long Island Iced Teas and shot the shit for an hour or so until someone told him he had to “get on the bus.” Just as I was wondering why the college students were paying for the rock star’s drinks (makes much more sense now), he handed me the rest of his drink comps. They were scribbled on the back of Pavement tickets. The bartender gave me dirty looks. And I nearly killed everyone on the way home. So, I can't remember all the details.

That’s my partying with the rock star story. You can ask Smokestack, he was there. Anyway, the Boo Radleys broke up in 1999 and Martin Carr has since released three good albums under the moniker bravecaptain, including this year’s All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace. “Good Life” (from that album) is a reunion of sorts, with former Boo singer Sice taking the lead vocal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home