Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Today the Monkey Dies

I'll be honest with you: this blog doesn't really interest me that much anymore. Most things that interested me a year ago, or even a few months ago, are of little interest to me now. I am nearly 30, so I am really only interested in propagating the awful little species that we're a part of. But I still love gay space rock and the internet. Shall we make this an mp3 blog then? Maybe that's something I can be interested in. Hopefully Nathan will still chime in on occasion, but I feel like my own contributions have been very negative and vitriolic and pointless. There's only one place for negativity and vitriol, and that's my stomach. Anyway, here's the first post for the rest of our lives.

Low - "Monkey"

I think Low are my new favorite band. Funnily enough, my mother sort of introduced me to them, even though I doubt she's heard a single song by them. A couple of years ago, she stuffed their Christmas album in my stocking. The album isn't that great, to be honest, but it led me to check out some of their other stuff. "That's How You Sing Amazing Grace" and their cover of the Smiths' "Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me" were ball-punchers, but it wasn't until I heard the new, Dave Fridmann-produced The Great Destroyer (out 1/25/05) that it all made sense. "Monkey" is the first track from the best album of 2005 (until we hear At War with the Mystics, perhaps). Low and I were born a couple of miles and about 20 years apart. I'd like to say that we both started out very slow and very sad, but have steadily become fuller and more refined. That's how they plant us in northeast Minnesota, I guess. I'd like to say that, but it would be very nauseating.

As a bonus, here are my two favorite Low songs not on The Great Destroyer:
"That's How You Sing Amazing Grace" (from 2002's Trust)
"Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me" (from the 2001 single)

Low perform at the Bowery Ballroom on February 3rd & 4th. Let's hope the Arcade Fire doesn't decide to play on the night I have tickets. For more information on Low, visit their official site.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spoilt Victorian Child said...

Welcome to wonderful and frightening world of MP3 blogging....
Hope you have fun with it.
Great start,
Always been a big big fan of Low....

Cheers.

Simon
x

9:44 AM  
Blogger Hank said...

Hello
I came upon you blog while I did a bit of blog surfing.
I hope you do not mind me if I invite you and other visitors to your blog to visit my site.That is if they are interested in movie download site wich they probably are.
Greetings and good luck with your blog

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home