Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Things I Won't Remember

I missed the Twins' 2-0 victory over the Yankees in Game One of the ALDS. Apparently, Torii Hunter is the Yankees' daddy.

I missed the VP debate. Seems the spin wants to call it a draw, if you ignore all of Cheney's lies, and that is a win-of-sorts for Edwards. I have to give Cheney credit, though: it sure was sweet of him to give George Soros' website a plug (factcheck.com). The internet is a beautiful thing.

I missed these things because I went to the Fiery Furnaces/Wilco show last night. Wilco are clearly, with Radiohead, the great live band of my generation. Each song was like a bead of water sliding down a thread, chaos clinging desperately to order. Before it started, I would have rather been at home flipping between the two sporting events, but on a day when it felt as though I needed to slit my own throat in order to breathe again, it was perfect. Nothingness desperately clinging to existence. Absurdity desperately clinging to meaning. Gravity is not an abstract, so it does not apply to abstract ideas (?); I guess I have to deal with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home