Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Government of Enron and by Halliburton and for the Southern Baptists

Sensitive Lady pointed me to this thoughtful article written by Garrison Keillor. Someone else this weekend recommended his new book to me, and I enjoyed this interview from a few weeks back. Perhaps this is what zealots don't seem to understand:
There is a stink drifting through this election year. It isn’t the Florida recount or the Supreme Court decision. No, it’s 9/11 that we keep coming back to. It wasn’t the “end of innocence,” or a turning point in our history, or a cosmic occurrence, it was an event, a lapse of security. And patriotism shouldn’t prevent people from asking hard questions of the man who was purportedly in charge of national security at the time.

I was going to blog this weeks ago, but I could never find a transcript: I caught the tail-end of Bill O'Reilly interviewing Keillor.
BO: Do you think that I'm a bad guy here? Am I doing bad things to the country and hurtin' the poor people and everything?

GK: I have no idea. I'm just sitting here talking to you, having a good time.

BO: You don't know what we do here [at Fox News] or anything like that?

GK: I'm sorry, I don't. I don't have cable t.v. I live a very small life in St. Paul. You'd be amazed.

BO: It might hurt your frame of reference then if you write about politics on that level, but maybe not.

And all I could think about was the study that proved that people were dumber for having watched Fox News.

O'Reilly transcript thanks to here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home