Friday, March 12, 2004

Poop Culture

Entertainment Weekly came out with its The 25 Funniest People in America issue today. Since I think comedy is sometimes funny, I thought I would appease the millions of Americans who are desperate for my thoughts on the issue.

1. Chris Rock -- He wouldn't be number one on my list, but I won't argue much. Except to say that he should never act again. (He was great as Pootie Tang's father in Pootie Tang, however.) He should do a sketch comedy show -- "The Chris Rock Show" was pretty good for that -- and "Bigger and Blacker" is one of the funniest stand-up specials I have ever seen. I believe he has a new one coming to HBO soon, and I can't wait.
2. Jon Stewart & the Daily Show Team -- Good times. Jon Stewart falls back on his "slack-jawed schlub" gimmick and gladhands Republicans a bit too often for my tastes, but he is egoless enough to allow other comedians take centerstage. He has also, thankfully, given up acting. Stephen Colbert probably deserves a spot on this list all by himself. And "Produce Pete" is fucking great, even though it hits too close to home.
3. Will Ferrell -- Let's wait-and-see on this one. Is he going to make a bunch of lite crap like Elf the rest of his life? No, I didn't see it. Anchorman looks promising from the trailer, with a dog that shits in the fridge, but those movies always end up sucking big floppy donkey dicks. He was the only saving grace on SNL for a long time, and I always enjoyed his "angry dad"-type sketches.
4. Larry David -- This season of "Curb" has been a disappointment (except the marijuana/hooker and Stiller birthday party episodes), but everything else this man has done has been brilliant. I really wish I could get my hands on some his stand-up; I've only seen bits and pieces from the "Curb" pilot.
5. Dave Chappelle -- This guy proves that sometimes it is all about the delivery. I'm no fanatic, but there is always at least one great sketch on every episode of his show. And Half-Baked was funny until I stopped being high.

Now I've bored myself. Maybe I'll do more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home